How To Make Besan Bhindi Masala
Besan bhindi masala recipe does not make use of onion, tomato or garlic. It just needs very few ingredients, main being okra / lady's finger, gram flour / besan and other spices. This is not a stuffed bhindi, but okra / bhindi is just sauteed with gramflour / besan and spices. This makes it very easy to prepare unlike bharwan bhindi
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Besan Bhindi Masala
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Besan Bhindi Masala
- okra - 1/4 kilogram / 250 grams
- oil - 3 tbsp
- asafoetida powder / hing - a pinch
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- gram flour/ besan/ kadalamavu - 4 tbsp
- chili powder - 1/2 -1 tsp
- coriander powder - 1 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch
- amchur powder - 1 tsp
- garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- coriander leaves - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- salt - to taste
Steps to make Besan Bhindi Masala
- Saute besan/gramflour well over low flame till it leaves a nice aroma. Transfer it to a plate and keep it aside
- Wash and pat dry okra nicely. Cut both the ends of okra. Make slits on the bhindi or okra without breaking them.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add okra/ bhindi. Saute till it becomes crispy. Transfer it to another plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter, add hing / asafoetida powder, and saute for a second.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, ginger and saute well in medium flame.
- Add besan / gram flour and saute well. Saute well over low flame till the raw smell if any left goes off.
- Add the fried bhindi to the mixture, add salt, amchur powder and mix well.Stir well till the entire masala gets coated on the okra.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 mins on low flame. Open the lid, stir nicely so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom. Cover and cook again for 2-3 mins.
- Open the lid. By this time, okra will be cooked well. Cook again for another 2-3 more mins in high flame. Keep stirring
- Add garam masala, mix well. Remove from heat.
- Finally add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve besan bhindi with chapati, paratha or poori.