How To Make Gutti Vankaya Kura (Andhra Style Stuffed Eggplant Curry)
It did take some time to cook this beautiful dish, but I thought the end result was worth the effort.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Gutti Vankaya Kura (Andhra Style Stuffed Eggplant Curry)
- Baby eggplants – 12 washed and dried
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Masala Ingredients:
- Roasted Peanuts – ½ cup
- Sesame seeds – Äµ cup dry roasted
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 ” piece
- Dry red chilies – 6
Steps to make Gutti Vankaya Kura (Andhra Style Stuffed Eggplant Curry)
- Make a “X” cut on the bottom of the eggplant, about 3/4th of the way up, make sure that the eggplant still holds together and does not break. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the masala ingredients and grind along with the tamarind pulp, salt and a few drops of water to form a smooth, thick paste.
- Gently open the eggplants and stuff the masala inside. Follow this process with all the eggplants.
- Set any remaining stuffing aside as this will be used to make the gravy for this dish.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a sauté pan; arrange the stuffed eggplants in the pan.
- Cook with the lid covered on medium low heat until the eggplants are ¾th cooked.
- Pour ½ cup of water to the left over masala and pour it into the pan, cover and cook until the sauce is bubbly and the eggplants are thoroughly cooked.
- Check the seasonings and serve warm with rice.