How To Make Bhindi Fry (Crispy Mangalore style Lady's Fingers fry)
This is a famous Mangalorean dish in which the okra or lady's fingers are marinaded with rice flour and spices and then stir fried. The lady's fingers are very crispy from outside and soft inside.
- Prep Time60mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Bhindi Fry (Crispy Mangalore style Lady's Fingers fry)
- 1.5 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tsp madras curry powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- Dash of hing or asaefoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- Salt to taste
- oil to fry
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 250 grams okra or lady's fingers
- 2 tsp Mustard Oil
Steps to make Bhindi Fry (Crispy Mangalore style Lady's Fingers fry)
- Wash and clean okra. Pat dry each okra with a kitchen paper towel. This step is important. Do not skip this step.
- Chop the okra into 1 inch size pieces. Add mustard oil and coat the okra pieces well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix rice flour, hing, curry powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, cayenne and salt as per taste.
- Coat the okra pieces with this mixture in a bowl. Mix well so that the okra is coated well on all sides. Keep it aside at least for an hour.
- Heat enough oil in a fry pan to shallow fry the vegetable. Once the oil is hot, add the curry leaves, fry for a few seconds. Next add the marinaded okra and fry. Cook on medium heat till the okra is completely cooked.
- Serve the hot and crispy okra immediately. You can drizzle lemon juice to make it a little tangy.