How To Make Mixed Vegetable Handi
Mixed Vegetable Handi is considered as a Royal Dish of Punjabi Cuisine where a lot of vegetables like cauliflower, carrot, Beans, Green Peas, Potatoes are cooked in onion and tomato based gravy and flavored with aromatic spices. The dish got it's name from the pot it is cooked which is a cooking pot used in Indian cuisine named as HANDI.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time60mins
Key ingredients for Mixed Vegetable Handi
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Mixed Vegetable Handi
- 25 - cashew nuts
- 2 - medium carrot (cut into cubes)
- 2 - medium potato (cut into cubes)
- Cauliflower florets - 1/2 cup (florets cut in small size)
- 15 to 20 nos - french beans (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup - green peas
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- 2 - medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 - Green Chilies (finely slit)
- 1 tsp - ginger garlic paste
- 1 bunch - fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp - dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tsp - red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp - turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp - coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp - garam masala
- 1 - bay leaf
- 1/2 inch - cinnamon stick
- 2 - green cardamom
- 2 - cloves
- 2 strands - mace
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp - butter
- 3 to 4 tbsp - cream
- 1 tsp - salt
- 1 tsp - sugar
Steps to make Mixed Vegetable Handi
- Soak the cashew nuts in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and make a fine paste of the cashew nuts. Keep aside.
- Steam all the vegetables in a steamer. If you like you can fry the vegetables. Since this dish is very rich I have avoided the frying part and steamed the vegetables. Make sure that they are not over or under cooked.
- Heat butter in a Handi, if you do not have a Handi you can use the regular pan also.
- Now add the Bay leaf, green cardamom, mace, cinnamon stick and the cloves to the butter and saute for a few seconds .
- Add the finely chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown in color. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smells of the paste disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and coriander leaves and saute till the tomatoes becomes soft and oil starts to come out of the sides of the Handi.
- Add Turmeric powder, Red Chilli powder and Coriander powder and give it a quick stir.
- Now add the cashew paste along with 1 tsp of sugar and keep stirring till oil comes out of the sides.
- Now add 1/2 cup of water, salt and let it boil. Add the slit green chilies and let it simmer on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the steamed vegetables into the gravy. Stir well and simmer the vegetables in the gravy for 2 to 3 minutes more. Once the gravy thickens, add a pinch of nutmeg powder.
- Add crushed fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder to the gravy.
- Finally add the cream, stir well and take away from the heat.
- Serve hot with Roti, Paratha or Naan of your choice.