- Multiple entries are allowed. Photos are mandatory for each recipe.
- Senai Kizhangu Pachadi | Elephant Yam RaitaCook time 10 mins20 Likes
This raita is my grandmother's signature dish. We just love to have it as a dipping with Paruppu Usli. Elephant Yam is very high in fiber and good for health.
- Saaya | SaiCook time 120 mins13 Likes
Saaya is a delicacy laced with love. The sweetness and deliciousness comes from slow cooking for a long time. It requires a lot of patience and labour. My grandmother used to plan out in advance, arrange for the ingredients and make Saaya with a lot of other eatables for her brothers on Bhitoli (Bhitoli is a Kumaoni festival observed in monsoons where sisters apply tikka to brothers and pray for their good health and happiness) made with so much love and efforts Saaya, is uniquely delicious. Saaya is made during festivities in Kumaon.
- Banana Flower Chutney ( Udupi Heirloom recipe)Cook time 25 mins23 Likes
Banana blossom chutney is an heirloom recipe of my husband's native place , Udupi in Karnataka. I recently got banana blossom from an Indian store and I was discussing with my mother in law about the recipes she prepares from this flower . She told me that she prepares spicy chutney from it which is prepared with the banana blossom bracts, flavored with coriander, coconut, sesame seeds, tamarind and green chillies and tempered with mustard seeds, black gram lentils and fresh curry leaves. I decided to give a try to this healthy, nutritional and rich in fiber banana blossom chutney and it turned out absolutely delicious. You can serve this condiment with dosa or as a side dish with lunch and dinner.
- Turmeric Leaf KheerCook time 60 mins7 Likes
Turmeric Leaf kheer is a family speciality that has been passed on from generations. The rich milk cooked rice is infused by the beautiful flavour and aroma of turmeric leaf.
- Desi Ghee Smeared Bhagnari Jeera Black Pepper KokiCook time 10 mins5 Likes
Not a typical Sindhi Koki, it differs in method, taste and recipe. My grandmum's recipe that my Sindhi mum learnt after marriage. Bhagnaris are a community different from Sindhis and have their own variations in cuisine, though the base remains Sindhi with a bit of Punjabi thrown in.
- Manda Pitha (Sweet Rice Dumplings)Cook time 15 mins15 Likes
Manda Pitha which is also known as modak in Maharastra, is a sweet dish from Odisha. I never liked it while growing up, but over the time, learned to appreciate the texture and taste of it so much that, I made my mother-in-law taught me the recipe step by step when she was visiting me here in the USA, a few years back. Manda Pitha, is made out of rice flour and then steamed
- Gulamba in Nani's StyleCook time 25 mins11 Likes
When I was a kid, every year my Naniji used to send her special homemade Gulamba for me. And I use to eat only chapati and gulamba for both the meals. Basically, Gul is Jaggery and Amba is mango hence, Gulamba. This can be prepared with Jaggery but I specially like it with Sugar. My Naniji passed this recipe to her daughter when she got married and later mom passed it to me. I made it a few times of course under Nani's and Mom's guidance and the result is seen. Today, even just a bite takes me right back. So, here's my ultimate favorite seasonal preparation preserved from generation to generation, Gulamba.
- Doli ki rotiCook time 20 mins14 Likes
A whole wheat fermented bread /Roti, activated with an age old and traditional recipe of homemade yeast. The ingredients which make the yeast give the entire flavor to the bread and take the taste of the bread to just another level.
- Valasdi Wada/Desai WadaCook time 20 mins15 Likes
Roasted Flour Wada (Sakela lot na wada) as we know are also called "Desai Wada" made by a Gujarati Desai Community requires a slow roasting of Rice and Dal each individually and ground into a coarse flour,it requires to be stored airtight container. Array of items can be made from roasted flour and my Paa’s favourite is WADA. I wasn't lucky enough to get a handwritten recipe of my Granny but Mom could get recipe from my Aunts which I further revalidated on Taste and Texture by making it from my Paa. Wadas made up of roasted flour is a mixture of slow roasted Rice and dals is a treasure of South Gujarat Kitchens is a heirloom recipe of my family and Yes I have handwritten this recipe for future generations to carry forward the Legacy.
- Bhaja Suji Manda PithaCook time 20 mins23 Likes
- Mysore PakCook time 60 mins0 Likes
- Chilled Lemon PieCook time 20 mins1 Likes
- Semolina KurdaiCook time 15 mins10 Likes
- Bhuna MeatCook time 120 mins7 Likes
- Vegetable khichdiCook time 10 mins11 Likes
- Chawal Ki Kheer (Rice Pudding)Cook time 45 mins131 Likes
- Malpua and rabdiCook time 60 mins12 Likes
- Three year old Nimbu pickleCook time 25 mins4 Likes
- Aam ka Heeng wala acharCook time 30 mins6 Likes
- Elaichi Kali Mirch Gosht (sindhi style mutton)Cook time 30 mins29 Likes
- Mixed Fruit CustardCook time 20 mins12 Likes
- Prawns Balchao | Prawns PickleCook time 20 mins24 Likes
- Hayagreeva maddiCook time 20 mins4 Likes
- Besan ki bharwan tikiaCook time 90 mins1 Likes
- Turmeric Leaf KheerCook time 60 mins7 Likes
- Nani's Vegetable biryaniCook time 20 mins6 Likes
- Inji sorasamCook time 0 mins1 Likes
- Hot and Sweet Plums and PeachesCook time 80 mins3 Likes
- Vetki Paturi (Barramundi Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaf )Cook time 20 mins36 Likes
An heirloom brand, KitchenAid has been a prized possession for many families over generations.
The KitchenAid StandMixer is a legend in itself, with it's looks barely changing over the last 97 years.
Contest terms & conditions
- The recipe should be the participants ORIGINAL work, they can however take inspiration from anyone else’s work
- The recipe must be accompanied by original photograph/s. If found to be plagiarised, the recipe will be taken off.
- The contest is open to individuals across the world. Do provide us with a valid Indian address to ship the prize.
- BetterButter reserves the right to extend the deadline.
- Winners will receive prizes within 30 days from the date of announcement of the winner, provided the address is shared with us on time.
- The entries submitted by participants may be used by Betterbutter for publicity purposes in future.