1. Mix the milk and the sugar together. Keep aside
2. Sift the flour and the salt together. Add the yeast to it. Pour in the milk and stir well till mixed. Cover.
3. Keep this mixture aside for atleast 30 minutes to an hour in a warm spot until bubbles appear.
4. Now, mix the warm water with the baking soda, let it bubble. Knock the air out of the flour mix and add the soda water solution to this mixture. Mix well. Keep aside for an additional 30 minutes.
5. Heat a pan with a little butter. Set out the ring moulds for the crumpets. Pour enough batter so that the crumpets come to about half the ring. Fry on gentle heat for 8 to 10 minutes on either side.
6. Serve with a sprinkling of icing sugar and clotted cream and fruit of your choice.