How To Make Orange scented Dry fruits Shahi Pulao
Packed with nuts, fresh fruits and infused with saffron and various Indian spices, this rice dish is perfect for party menu or for a holiday treat.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Orange scented Dry fruits Shahi Pulao
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Orange scented Dry fruits Shahi Pulao
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup assorted nuts and fruits
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Olive oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 garlic pearls
- 3 green chilies
- 2 tbsp. warm milk
- 4-5 Saffron strands
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Few mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Spices:- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1 small bay leaf
Steps to make Orange scented Dry fruits Shahi Pulao
- Wash the Basmati rice and soak it in clean water for 20 minutes or more.
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk for 10 minutes.
- Slice the onion finely and grate ginger. Slit the green chilies into two.
- Grate the peel of orange (for zest)and squeeze to take out the juice in a cup.
- Heat ghee or Olive oil in a large wok or kadai and quickly fry cashew nuts and almonds for a minute and take them out in a small bowl.
- Add cloves, cardamom pods, star anise and bay leaf in the same oil and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add sliced ginger, chopped garlic, slit green chilies and sauté for another minute
- Drain the water from the rice, add the rice, raisins, sugar and salt in the wok and combine lightly to coat each grain with ghee or oil.
- Pour warm water and orange juice in the wok, cover the wok with a lid and let it cook on medium heat 7-8 minutes.
- Add roasted cashew nuts, almonds and soaked saffron strands with milk in the wok, stir lightly and cover again.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes or till the rice is cooked and water is absorbed completely.
- Garnish with chopped mint leaves, pineapple pieces and grated orange zest.
- Serve this flavorful pulao with yogurt raita or any Indian curry.
My Tip: Replace orange juice with plain water if you wish.