Mascarpone Cream cheese Mango cake with a white rum custard and home made Italian lady fingers topped with fresh mangoes NO BAKE
- For the Italian lady fingers. 5 eggs - separated.
- 2/3 cup sugar divided .
- 1tsp - vanilla .
- 1 cup - all purpose flour .
- 1/4 tsp - salt .
- 1/3 cup icing sugar.
- Mascarpone cheese- 500 gms. Cream cheese - 200 grams. Vanilla extract - 1tbsp.
- Whipped cream - about 4 cups ( i used tropolite so its already sweet hence no extra sugar added here and also the custard is sweet)
- Mangoes - 3 to 4 ripe, firm and sweet. A 10inch round cake ring mould.
- To make the custard you need 3 egg yolks. Fine sugar - 1/3 cup. 2tbsp - white rum. A good pinch of salt.
- Make your lady fingers well in advance as it can be stored. Preheat the oven to 130 degree C. Beat the yolks and salt and vanilla with half the sugar till pale.Get on with the egg whites and remaining sugar till stiff peaks. Sift in the flour and combine.
- Line your baking trays with baking sheets and pipe the prepared mixture like fingers giving ample space between each as they will rise and expand.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the biscuits seem firm to touch. This is slow baking and you would want good color and crunch on them. Take them from the oven and dust icing sugar on top while they are still hot. There your Italian lady fingers are ready.
- Make your custard. Combine the yolks, sugar, salt and rum on a double boiler whisking till the custard thickens or till the back of the spoon is coated well. Use cling film to cover the custard so the layer doesnt form and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Get your Mascarpone and Cream cheese to room temperature before you start. Beat on high speed till well combined. Add the vanilla and rum custard and whisk.
- Fold in the whipped cream cup by cup tasting till you get the desired taste. Make sure you dont add more cream and you lose the taste of the cheese.
- Place your ring mould on a cake board or cake stand and begin by placing the lady fingers as the base. Pour half the cheese mixture. Then add a good generous layer of mango slices. Pour the remaining mixture till the brim and even it out with a spatula.
- Let it set in the fridge overnight. Next day lift the mould and arrange the lady fingers all around. Top it with fresh mangoes and i added some white chocolate butterflies.