Kolmi no Tatrelo Patio - Spiced Prawns, Parsi Style
How to make Garam Masala
- 1 cup medium sized prawns, cleaned and devined
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped with the greens
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, washed and chooped
- 6-8 green chillies, chopped
- 2 -3 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Parsi garam masala
- Marinate the prawns in salt and turmeric and set aside.
- In a large flat frying pan heat some oil and crackle the mustard seeds. Then add the curry leaves, chopped onions, garlic, and spring onions. Stir and fry for a few minutes keeping the heat on medium.
- Add the green chillies and cook for another minute.
- Now add the spice powders and sugar and mix well. Keep stirring and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
- Next add half of the chopped coriander and follow it with the vinegar. Stir well to mix and cook evenly. Add salt as required. Don't forget that the prawns have been salted.
- Finally add the prawns and coat them well with the masala mix. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes till the prawns are done.
- Once the prawns are done garnish with the remaining fresh coriander and serve this hot with plain daal and rice, or with bread (Bombay pav is ideal).
My Tip: Use fresh prawns preferably, and not frozen ones. Cook this in a large flat vessel (that's what a patio is, traditionally)