How To Make Amla Murabba
A murabba made from amla is traditionally used as a general health tonic to sharpen the mind and relieve fatigue. his recipe is brought to you in association with the Murugappa Group for the Superfoods Campaign.
- Prep Time8Hours
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Amla Murabba
- 1 kg Fresh Amlas
- 1 1/2 kgs Sugar
- 1 tsp Rock Salt
- 1 tsp Chemical Lime/Alum
- 1/4 tsp Green cardamom seeds, crushed
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp Saffron(optional)
- 1 1/2 liters of Water(for sugar syrup)
Steps to make Amla Murabba
- Choose fresh, blemish free Amlas.
- Prick the amlas all over with a fork.
- Dissolve chemical lime in 2-3 liters of water and soak Amlas in this water overnight.
- Next day, remove and wash the Amlas very thoroughly so that there are no traces of lime.
- Transfer Amlas to a large pan, cover with enough water and boil till tender and opaque.
- Drain well.
- Now combine sugar, 1 1/2 liters of water and lemon juice. Let boil till it attains one thread consistency.
- Add in the drained amlas and boil for another 5 minutes or till amlas are well coated in the sugar syrup.
- Add in the cardamom seeds, rock salt, saffron and black pepper, if using.
- Transfer to a clean, dry container when cool.