Barley and vegetable soup
- 1 medium sized potato cut into 1-2 cm pieces
- 2 carrots shredded or grated
- 1 liter chicken or veg stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 100 grams barley
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Handful of finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Take a pan, gently heat the oil and then add in the carrots and potatoes.
- Cook the vegetables on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes till they soften.
- Next put in the barley and bay leaves and pour in the wine, stock and tomato puree together.
- Let this simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes till the barley is soft and the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaves and pour the soup in a serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.