Bengali fish curry
- fish (of your choice) 500 grams
- red chilli powder 1 tsp
- turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- cloves 2-4
- cinnamon 1 stick (around 1/2 to 1 inch)
- coriander-cumin seeds powder 1 tsp
- onions 1 (large)
- curds (dahi) 1 cup
- mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- cloves 2
- cardamom 2
- salt to taste
- mustard oil 3 tbsp
- green chillies 3-4
- Roast and grind together cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and cumin and keep aside. Clean and cut fish into 1-inch thick steak.
- Grind togther the chillies, turmeric and salt. Smear the fish with ground spices and then shallow fry for 2 mins and keep aside.
- Grind together the chilli powder, roasted spices, mustard seeds and half of the sliced onions.
- Heat oil to a smoking in a wok. Put the garlic cloves and onion and fry them, add the ground spices to this and fry together. Add the sliced tomates and saute till they are cooked.
- Add well beaten curd, simmer for 10-15mins. Add the fried fish and cook and cover again for 15mins.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
My Tip: Add ginger paste to add more flavors to the curry