Fatfree Breakfast Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 3/4 to 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1-2 teaspoon vegetable oil to grease the bowl and bread pan
- Whisk together the first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Dissolve the sugar in ¾ warm water and add yeast. Cover and keep for 15 minutes. Beat the yogurt till its smooth, then add this into the yeast mixture.
- Next add the liquid ingredients into the flour mix. Knead for 5 to 6 minutes. Continue adding water till a supple and slightly sticky dough is obtained.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Turn the dough around so that it is evenly coated with oil. Keep it to rise for 1 to 1 ½ hour or till it doubles in size.
- Grease one 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Punch the dough and knead gently for another 5 minutes. Roll out the dough into a rectangle no wider than the loaf pan you are using.
- Roll the dough towards you, tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Place the roll in the greased loaf tin. Cover and let it rise till it doubles in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 30 to 35 minutes or till the loaf turns brown and the bottom of the pan sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the pan after 10 minutes. Slice when cold and serve with milk or tea as desired.
My Tip: Make sure to knead the dough till it is really soft and elastic. Also, you may try out a healthier version by adding 50% all-purpose flour, 25% whole wheat flour and 25% oats.