Key ingredients for Moong Dal Halwa
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Moong Dal Halwa
- 250 gms dhuli moong dal(split green gram without skin)
- 4 cups + Äµ cup full cream milk
- 300 gms ghee
- 300 gms sugar(you may increase/decrease as sweetness
- Generous pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp cardamom powder
- Cashews and almonds chopped as required
- For garnish:
- Few saffron strands
- Dried rose petals (optional)
- Sliced almonds
- Silver warq/paper (optional)
Steps to make Moong Dal Halwa
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal for 6 to 7 hours. Soak saffron in 1/4th cup of warm milk. Keep it aside. Drain and blend it in a blender to a coarse paste without water.
- In a heavy bottom pan or kadhai, add ghee and moong dal paste, mix. Cook on a low heat till the dal turns light golden brown. Stir intermittently.
- Once the dal turns golden brown, add 4 cups of milk and mix well. Cook on low heat till 3/4th of the milk quantity dries up. Keep stirring intermittently. Add cardamom powder, sugar, saffron milk, chopped cashew and almonds. Combine well
- Start bhuno-fying (cook on a low heat), stirring continuously throughout till the halwa takes a beautiful dark brown color and releases all the ghee flowing in the pan.
- Dish out in a serving bowl, garnish with chopped almonds, petals, saffron and warm.
- Serve warm. This halwa can be prepared in bulk and stored in an clean and dry airtight container easily upto 3 weeks in refrigerator. You just have to reheat the required serving portion and enjoy anytime.