Puy and Swiss Chard daal
How to make Garam Masala
- 250 g Puy Lentils
- 250 g Swiss Chard
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 Large tomato chopped
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 5-6 Green chillies slit
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp. Kasoori Methi ( dried fenugreek leaves )
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Madras Curry Powder ( optional )
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin and coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- Pinch Hing ( asafoetida )
- Clean, wash and soak lentils in water for half an hour to one hour. Wash and roughly chop the swiss chard, tomato.4
- Place lentils, swiss chard, tomato, garlic cloves, green chillies in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and cook till three whistle.
- Let the pressure cooker cool naturally. Open the pressure cooker lid and mush the lentil slightly with back of the spoon or ladle.
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan or kadai, add cumin seeds. As soon as they crackle add hing and chopped onion.
- Saute the onion till light pink, add ginger-garlic paste and cook further 2 minutes. Add kasoori methi, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder and curry powder.
- Cook the mixture for few seconds and add cooked lentils. Mix everything, add salt and simmer the daal for 7-8 minutes or your desire consistency.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with fresh coriander and serve HOT with Roti, Rice and salad. Enjoy !
My Tip: Whole brown Masoor can be used instead of Puy Lentils. Mustard leaves, Amaranth or Spinach can be used instead of swiss chard.