How To Make Puy and Swiss Chard daal
This delicious and tasty daal is our ultimate go to comfort food during rainy and cold days, easy to prepare, uses the most basic ingredients and doesn't take more than 30-40 minutes and so amazingly satisfying.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Puy and Swiss Chard daal
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Puy and Swiss Chard daal
- 250 g Puy Lentils
- 250 g Swiss Chard
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 Large tomato chopped
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 5-6 Green chillies slit
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp. Kasoori Methi ( dried fenugreek leaves )
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Madras Curry Powder ( optional )
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin and coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- Pinch Hing ( asafoetida )
Steps to make Puy and Swiss Chard daal
- Clean, wash and soak lentils in water for half an hour to one hour. Wash and roughly chop the swiss chard, tomato.4
- Place lentils, swiss chard, tomato, garlic cloves, green chillies in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and cook till three whistle.
- Let the pressure cooker cool naturally. Open the pressure cooker lid and mush the lentil slightly with back of the spoon or ladle.
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan or kadai, add cumin seeds. As soon as they crackle add hing and chopped onion.
- Saute the onion till light pink, add ginger-garlic paste and cook further 2 minutes. Add kasoori methi, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder and curry powder.
- Cook the mixture for few seconds and add cooked lentils. Mix everything, add salt and simmer the daal for 7-8 minutes or your desire consistency.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with fresh coriander and serve HOT with Roti, Rice and salad. Enjoy !