- 1 whole chicken (of 2.5 kg or more)
- 10-12 garlic pods
- 1 large sized onion sliced
- 3-4 carrots chopped in chunks
- 1 fennel (with top part removed and cut in wedges)
- 1 lemon cut in half
- A bunch of fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- Black pepper freshly grounded
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 218 degrees celsius.
- Wash the chicken thoroughly inside and out. Remove the giblets and excess fat and then pat the chicken dry.
- Rub salt and pepper properly in the inside of the chicken. Then stuff the chicken with thyme, lemon halves, and the garlic pods.
- Brush the outer part with butter and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Tie the chicken legs with a string and tuck the wings under the chicken body.
- Now place the carrots, onions, and fennel in a roasting pan. Add in sprigs of thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil. Spread this mixture on the pan and place the chicken on top of it.
- Roast the chicken for 1 and 1/2 hours until the juices run out when you cut between the part of a leg and a thigh.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large serving plate and cover it with an aluminum foil for 20 minutes.
- Then slice the chicken and serve it with the cooked vegetables.