How to make Garam Masala
- ½ kg chicken
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 3 inch cinnamon stick
- Few peppercorns
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Few coriander leaves, to garnish
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly and drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, add the green chillies and dry spices, fry till a beautiful aroma develops.
- Then add onions and fry till they turn golden in colour. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and stir fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add in salt, tomatoes and turmeric together, stir well and fry till the mixture becomes dry. Cover with a lid and let it simmer and cook till the tomato softens.
- Add the chicken and stir fry till it turns white in colour. Then add red chili powder, and salt, mix well and fry for another minutes.
- Pour water just enough to immerse the chicken. Do not add too much water, curry will become runny.cover and cook on a medium flame till the chicken is half cooked
- Add garam masala and curd. Mix well and cook till the chicken is cooked soft and tender.
- Serve with rice, chapathi or biryani.