How To Make Masala Chai
Masala Chai is a distinctive style of milk-based tea consumed in India. Masala Chai has a warm spice note in combination with the heat and soothing properties from the warmed milk that makes it very relaxing to consume. In India, Masala chai is consumed mostly in the cold or rainy weather.
- Prep Time5mins
- Cook Time5mins
Ingredients to make Masala Chai
- Ginger 1 tsp, grated
- Whole Cardamom - 7 seeds
- Whole clove - 4
- Cinnamon just a pinch
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Cup water
- 3 tsp regular Tea leaves
Steps to make Masala Chai
- Start by grating some ginger, approximately 1 tsp or more, as per taste.
- Next you need is a mortar pestle, bang open the cardamom seeds. Separate out the seeds and cover, let the seeds remain in the mortar.
- Break in half 4 cloves and add in the mortar.
- Break a tiny piece of cinnamon and add in the mortar. Make sure its a tiny piece as its aroma can be very overpowering.
- Nicely powder the spices in the mortar pestle.
- Mix milk and water in 1:1 proportion and put on a medium flame. Add in the freshly ground masala followed by tea leaves, sugar and finally the grated ginger.
- Turn the flame on high, let it rise and lower the flame. Repeat 3 time which ensure mixing of the masalas and release of their aromas.
- Strain directly in cups and have it hot.