How To Make Orange Polenta Cake
A typical Italian cake, polenta or corn meal and almond give it a crumbly texture whereas the lemon just brightens up the cake completely.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time35mins
Ingredients to make Orange Polenta Cake
- 300 grams butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- For the lemon icing:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 150 grams polenta or corn meal
- 300 grams almond meal
- For the topping:
- 3 oranges, zested and juiced
- 300 grams sugar
- 250 grams icing sugar
Steps to make Orange Polenta Cake
- In a large bowl mix the sugar and orange zest together by hand until the sugar is wet and fragrant. Add in the butter and whisk until pale yellow.
- Measure out the dry ingredients in another bowl - the almond meal, polenta, salt and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and the whites. Whisk the whites until stiff. Add a pinch of salt to it. Keep aside.
- To the butter mix add the egg yolks, lemon juice and orange juice. Whisk well. Add in all the dry ingredients and whisk until just mixed.
- Cut and fold the egg whites into this cake until most of the egg is mixed in without losing air.
- Line a baking tin with butter paper and pour the cake into it. Bake for 35 minutes at 185 degree centigrade.
- Once the cake is baked, remove and cool. Make the lemon icing by mixing the lemon juice with icing sugar. Pour over the cake. Grate some zest on top and serve