How To Make Masala Chai (Indian masala tea)
Chai has become so popular worldwide that people are even using the flavor to make the frosting and icing for cakes in the USA.Its hard to believe that everywhere,even in African countries we have a version of the Indian Chai and people love it.So here I am giving my recipe on the wonderful beverage with the spices and condiments I use In the market we find so many brands of tea and some even have added spices.But believe me its nothing so good as brewing your own cup of Chai and enjoying its flavors to the utmost.Its believed that the British drink the most amount of tea in the world but Indians are also not far behind.This Chai is going to change the way in which you look at this humble beverage.Its also good for those suffering from colds and fever.Lets check out the recipe now.
- Prep Time5mins
- Cook Time15mins
Ingredients to make Masala Chai (Indian masala tea)
- 5 Green Cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick(or use Cinnamon Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder(sonth)
- 1/2 tsp fresh Ginger(grated)
- 1 tbsp Tea Leaves
- Sugar to taste
- Milk as required
- 2 Cups Water
Steps to make Masala Chai (Indian masala tea)
- Dry roast the spices(Cardamom,cloves,cinnamon and peppercorns) in a pan and then pound to a powder in a coffee grinder.I love to use the mortar and pestle for this.The powder is not very fine but gives superior taste.
- Boil water in a saucepan and add the powder prepared above.Boil for approx 5 minutes on low till all the spices give their taste to the water.Now add the ginger powder.Boil for a minute and add tea leaves.Boil for 2-3 minutes and add milk.
- Continue to boil on low till the tea leaves have given out their wonderful color and the liquid thickens a little – approx 3 minutes more.
- Add the grated ginger and allow to sit for 5 minutes till all the flavors seep into the tea.
- Strain into tea cups and add milk and sugar to taste.Enjoy with tea biscuits or with anything of your choice.