How To Make Punjabi Dum Aloo
Cute Baby Potatoes simmered in onion & tomato gravy perfect with both rice and rotis.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Punjabi Dum Aloo
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Punjabi Dum Aloo
- 30 Baby Potatoes
- 2 Onions (ground to paste)
- 2 Tomatoes (Pureed)
- 10 Cashewnuts (soaked and ground to paste)
- 2 - 3 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
Steps to make Punjabi Dum Aloo
- Pressure cook the baby potatoes with a little salt for 1 whistle. Peel them and keep ready.
- Soak cashew nuts in warm water fro 15 - 20 minutes and then make a smooth paste.
- Heat some oil in a fry pan, and roast the potatoes till they are golden brown all around.
- Now again heat the remaining oil in a pan, and add cumin seeds and hing. Add the onion paste and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the ginger garlic paste and continue sauteing on medium flame.
- Once the onion paste becomes nice and brown, add the tomato puree and cook for 5 - 6 minutes, Then add the spice powders (except garam masala) and give a mix.
- Allow the gravy to cook for 5 minutes, and then add the cashew paste. Let it cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add water and once the gravy comes to a boil, throw in the fried baby potatoes. Keep the flame in low-med and let the potatoes simmer in the gravy for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Then add the garam masala and the crushed Kasuri methi, and turn off stove after 2 - 3 minutes.
My Tip: Can use normal potatoes, halved or quartered. Generally the potatoes are deep fried in oil and added to the gravy, but I boiled them and shallow fried.