Coffee and Walnut loaf Cake
- All purpose flour – 1 & 1/3 cups
- Baking powder – 1 & ¼ teaspoons
- Instant coffee powder – 2 tablespoons
- Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Dark brown sugar – 220 grams
- Unsalted butter – 125 grams
- Whole milk – ½ cup
- Eggs – 2
- Toasted walnuts – 125 grams, Chopped
- Icing sugar – 1/2 tablespoons
- Hot water – 2- 3 teaspoons
- Butter – ¼ teaspoon
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C. Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan. In a sauce pan, add the butter, sugar, milk and coffee powder. Now over a low heat, stir until the butter has melted. Turn the heat off.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon. Beat the eggs well in a small bowl and add it to the flour. Stir in the butter mixture and chopped walnuts (reserving a few nuts for garnishing).
- Gently fold the mixture till well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Now remove the loaf and top the loaf with with reserved walnuts and back into the oven for another 30-35 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the loaf.
- Cool the loaf for 10 minutes in pan and then on a wire rack. While the cake is cooling, Make the icing, In a bowl, add the sugar, butter and gradually add the hot water and mix until the icing comes to a thin consistency.
- Once the cake is cooled, drizzle the icing over and let it stand until set.
My Tip: Make sure to use all ingredients are at room temperature. Do not over mix the batter.
Other recipes in this foodbook
This foodbook has no other recipes.