How To Make Tabak Maaz
Lamb ribs simmered in Milk till tender and flash fried till crisp...a Kashmiri delicacy that can be served as a starter/side dish.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time60mins
Key ingredients for Tabak Maaz
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Tabak Maaz
- 1 kg Lamb ribs(with the fat on them)
- a large stock pot of boiling water
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup Fresh, thick yogurt
- Ghee for frying
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Ginger powder(saunth)
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds(saunf)
- 4-5 cloves(laung)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks(dalchini)
- 2 Green Cardamom(choti elaichi)
- 4 Black Cardamom(moti elaichi)
- 2 cups Milk
- Silver varq for garnishing if desired
Steps to make Tabak Maaz
- Immerse the ribs in the stock pot of boiling water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and wash well under running water.
- In another pot bring the Milk to a boil with 1 cup of water, add in the spices- cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, ginger, garam masala, bay leaves, asafoetida and salt.
- Add in the ribs.Simmer over low heat till meat is cooked and the Milk is absorbed.
- Alternatively you can cook the meat in the pressure cooker for a couple of whistles, release pressure and cook over low heat till Milk dries up.
- Remove the cooked mutton ribs and drain well.
- In a large bowl combine the curd, red chilli powder and a little salt. Whip till smooth.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan. Dip the ribs individually in the curd-chilli mixture and fry over medium heat till golden brown.
- Garnish with varq and serve immediately as the fatty part of the ribs tastes best when hot.