Aloo Tikki Chaat
Delicious potato-pea patties are served with spicy and tangy chickpea gravy, then topped with crunchy sev and yummy mint & tamarind chutnies. This is a dish with lots of textures and flavors. A must try for all chaat lovers. Recipe is adapted from Tarla Dalal's site.
- Prep Time30Minutes
- Cooking Time45Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
- Potato - 2 Medium, boiled, peeled and mashed
- Green Peas - 1/2cup
- Nigella seeds - 1/2tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1tsp
- Green Chilies - 2~3, finely chopped
- Cilantro - 2tbsp. finely chopped
- Corn Starch - 1tbsp
- Cooked Chickpeas - 2cups
- Onion -1 small, finely chopped
- Green Chili - 1~2, slit
- Ground Coriander - 1tsp
- Ground Cumin - 1tsp
- Red chili powder - 1tsp (adjust as per taste)
- Amchur powder - 1tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2tsp
- Tomato Puree - 2tbsp (or 1 ripe tomato)
- Salt & Pepper - to taste
- Sev - for serving
- Date-Tamarind Chutney - for serving
- Green Chutney - for serving
- Whisked Yogurt - for serving
- Red Onion - for topping
- To make Chole: Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add the onions and cook for 2~3 minutes or until translucent. Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, chili powder, amchur powder, garam masala and ½cup of water. Mix well and cook for 1~2 minutes.
- Next add the tomato puree and cook for 2~3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, salt and pepper; mix well and cook for 4~5 minutes, while lightly mashing the chickpeas with a potato masher. Set aside until ready to serve.
- To make Aloo patties: Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add nigella and cumin seeds, once the seeds start to splutter, add the green chilies and cook for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes, green peas, cilantro, corn starch, salt and the tempering. Mix well and divide the mixture into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a round tikki and flatten it slightly.
- Heat a little oil on a nonstick tawa and cook the tikkis until lightly browned on both sides, about 2~3 minutes per side.
- To Serve: Place 2 tikkis in a serving bowl, top it with some chole, sev, green chutney and tamarind chutney. Serve immediately.