Sweet & Spicy Raw Mango Pickle/Tok Jhaal Mishti Aam er Achaar
- Raw Mango- 1 kg
- Sugar- 750g (Use more or less as per your taste. The ideal ratio of sugar and mangoes should be 1:1 as mentioned in the original recipe I used little less.)
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Salt- 1 tbsp
- For Roasted Spice Powder/Bhaja Moshla:-Whole dry red chili- 8-10 (adjust as per your toleranc
- Cumin seeds- 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds- 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
- Wash the mangoes and peel them. Now grate them using a grater.
- Shift the grated mangoes into a non-reactive bowl (I used a glass bowl) and mix half of the sugar with it. Keep refrigerated overnight or for 8 hours.
- In a frying pan add all the ingredients mentioned under ‘Roasted Spice Powder’, stir them on medium flame for few minutes until little darker in color.
- Care should be taken not to burn the spices. Let them cool completely. Now grind them to a smooth powder using a mixer. Keep aside.
- Next day heat a deep frying pan (I used a nonstick kadai). Add the marinated mangoes, salt, turmeric powder, and mix well. Cook this on medium flame for 5-6 minutes. All the extra water releasing from the mangoes should evaporate within this time, if not cook for some few minutes more.
- Add rest of the sugar. Keep cooking on medium flame for 10-12 minutes, until the sugar melts completely.
- Add roasted spice powder. Mix well. Your Sweet & Spicy Raw Mango Pickle is done.
- Let it be cool completely at room temperature. Store this into sterilized glass containers. Keep refrigerated for longer shelf life.
My Tip: The consistency of this pickle will thicken a bit after cooling. So don’t dry them up while cooking.