How To Make Rogan Josh
A treat to your taste buds, a delicious recipe from the paradise Kashmir, prepared with mutton pieces simmered in various Indian spices and yogurt and not to forget the ratanjot infused oil which imparts the rich red colour to the aromatic curry. "Agar firdaus bar roo-e zameen ast, Hameen ast-o hameen ast-o hameen ast" "IF THERE IS PARADISE ON FACE OF THE EARTH, IT IS THIS, IT IS THIS, IT IS THIS”
- Prep Time20mins
- Cook Time2Hours
Key ingredients for Rogan Josh
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Khoya
Ingredients to make Rogan Josh
- Mutton with high fat content, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces – 500 gm.
- Mustard oil – 06 tbsp.
- Asafoetida- ¼ tsp.
- Cumin seeds - 01 tsp.
- Cinnamon – 01 inch piece
- Cloves- 04 nos.
- Black Peppercorn- 05 nos.
- Black Cardamom – 04 nos.
- Whole Kashmiri red chillies – 04 nos.
- Kashmiri red chili powder– 1-1/2 tbsp.
- Fennel seeds, powder - 02 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – ½ tsp.
- Coriander powder – 01 tbsp.
- Yogurt, hung- ¾ th cup
- Saffron (stepped in little hot milk) – 02 gm.
- Mutton Stock- 1 ½ to 02 cups
- Garam masala powder- ¼ th tsp.
- Khoya, grated- 50 gm.
- Almonds, blanched, peeled and ground into a fine paste-25 gm.
- Kewra water- 02 ml.
- Salt -to taste
- Ratanjot – 01 inch piece- 04 nos. heated with a little oil i.e. 25 ml mustard oil.
- For Garnishing: Coriander leaves- 02 sprigs
Steps to make Rogan Josh
- For the Ratanjot oil preparation: Heat mustard oil in a pan. Add Ratanjot sticks. Heat it for 03 minutes. It will give a rich red color to the oil. Strain and use as much required and store it for future use. Do not refrigerate.
- For the Rogan Josh preparation: Heat mustard oil in a lagan or a heavy bottomed pan, till smoking point.
- Switch off the gas let it cool, now heat the oil again and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns and black cardamoms and whole red chillies.
- Sauté till fragrant. Add the mutton pieces and cook on high flame till it turns slightly reddish brown for 15 minutes Add 1/2 cup of mutton stock and cook for about 10 min on low flame.
- Make sure to Stir constantly and scrape all the sediments from the bottom of the pan. Add all ground spices / powdered masalas along with saffron milk and mix well.
- Add salt. Whisk and add whisked hung yogurt and cook for about 02 minutes. Add a cup of mutton stock and when the mutton is nearly done add the garam masala powder, grated khoya, almond paste and kewra water.
- Cook the mutton on a slow flame till done for about 1 ½ to 02 hours and till most of the gravy is absorbed Pour the ratanjot-infused oil.
- For serving: Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped. Goes best with steamed rice or Naan.