How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
- 1 cup cholar daal or chanar daal or split Bengal gram
- 1 big potato, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp hing or asafoedita
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp cumin powder or paste
- 2 tsp ginger powder or paste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder or paste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt according to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala powder or paste
- 2 tsp ghee or petrified butter
- Mustard oil to cook
- Soak the daal overnight or for a minimum of 3-4 hours.
- Take a blender and make a smooth and thick paste of daal. Now take a deep pan and heat oil.
- Take the paste and fry in oil at a low flame for a minimum of 10 mins from all sides.
- While frying, add cumin, ginger, red chili powder or paste each of 1 tsp and sugar. Add salt according to taste.
- Take a big plate and grease it with oil. Take the paste and pour it on the plate. While it is warm, pat the paste with your hands and form a flat, little-raised structure.
- Take a knife and cut the paste in small kite or square or diamond shapes. Let the lentils paste get cool, hard. When the structures are ready then take them out slowly.
- Marinate the potato cubes and the lentils cake with salt and turmeric powder. Now fry them in oil till they get golden brown on both sides.
- Take a deep pan. Heat fresh oil. Add cumin seeds, hing, and bay leaf and saute for 2 minutes. Now add rest of the cumin, ginger and red chili paste and 1/2 cup water. Saute them well.
- Saute till the spices start leaving the water. Now add potato cubes and 2 cups of water.
- When the potato cubes are almost boiled add the lentils cakes. Cook it 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add garam masala powder and ghee. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Turn off the burner. Your Dhokar Dalna is ready to be served with steamed rice.