Sorghum Pilaf aka Jowar Ghoogri
- 1 cup whole Sorghum
- 1 cup chopped coloured Capsicum
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 garlic pearls
- 3 green chillies
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Salt to taste
- For the Seasoning- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Wash and soak Sorghum in water overnight.
- Add the Sorghum in a small vessel covered with a lid, place the vessel in a pressure cooker and cook it for about 7-8 whistles.
- Chop onion and the coloured capsicum into small cubes. Chop green chillies and crush garlic pearls with a knife or stone.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai and splutter cumin seeds in it.
- Add cloves, bay leaf and crushed garlic in the oil and sauté for a second.
- Add chopped onion, capsicum, turmeric powder and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and add cooked Sorghum, salt and sugar in the wok and let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn the flame off and add chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and serve this Jowar Ghoogari hot with poppadum or plain curd.
My Tip: Cooked Sorghum can be stored in refrigerator for 3-4 days. Pack cooked Sorghum in an sir-tight container or cover the vessel with cling foil and refrigerate.