How To Make Masala Poha
Poha or Flattened Rice is a very popular and common dish all across India. It is prepared in different ways in different regions.In Bengal it is typically served with curd and fruits to soothe the stomach during summers, in Assam it is served with milk too whereas in the western region like Maharashtra it is made like a pulao with curry leaves, mustard seeds,onions, peanuts etc. The taste may vary from region to region but the flattened rice is basically a very healthy breakfast/snack option. Since my childhood I have loved this Flattened Rice pulao made in different ways at my home. I was so crazy for it that I could have it 4-5 times a week , my favourite being the simple poha with only potato,slit green chillies, mustard seeds, curry leaves, salt and turmeric. This style is the best for kids who cannot have spicy ones. As I grew I enjoyed different flavours of this pulao. One of my favourites is with the spices that we use in our daily food, the other one is with peanuts, another one has tomato in it. All in all I love any type of this pulao. As my kids are growing they have also started loving the masala poha and in fact it is also a part of their weekly meals. Try this masala poha at your home and I am sure you will enjoy it both as a healthy as well as a flavourful dish. Go try it now...The simplest yet amazing breakfast/snack experience from an Indian Kitchen.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time10mins
Key ingredients for Masala Poha
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Masala Poha
- Flat Rice (Poha) 250 gms
- Boiled Potatoes 2 Medium Sized(chopped into cubes)
- Onion 1 Large (Finely Chopped)
- Garlic Cloves 2 (Finely Chopped)
- Coriander Leaves 1 Bunch (Finely Chopped)
- Sugar 1 Teaspoon
- Curry Leaves 1 Sprig
- Asafoetida A Pinch
- Mustard Seeds (Red) 1/2 Teaspoon
- Green Chillies (Slit) 1-2
- Coriander Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- Dry Mango Powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds Powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder 3/4 Teaspoon
- Salt to Taste
- Refined Oil 4 Tablespoon
- Lime Wedges (For Serving)
- Bhujia/Sev (For Garnishing)
- Chopped Coriander (For Garnishing)
Steps to make Masala Poha
- Wash and soak the flat rice in a bowl for around 10 mins.
- Drain it in a colander with fine holes and add salt and 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder to it. Mix well.
- Take Oil in a wok and heat on high flame. When the oil is hot add the asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- As soon as the mustard seeds start to crackle add in the slit green chillies and curry leaves and let it fry for half a minute.
- Now add the finely chopped onions,garlic and stir till translucent. Now add in the chopped potatoes and the rest of the turmeric and salt as per the onion and potatoes.
- Fry for around 2 Mins. Then add in the sugar and stir for around half a minute.
- Now add the coriander powder,garam masala powder, cumin powder,fennel seeds powder, red chilli powder and chopped coriander and fry for 2 mins.
- Add in the drained flat rice and mix well so that the onion potato masala mixture coats the flat rice completely. Turn off the gas.
- Squeeze the lemon and mix well and garnish with coriander leaves and Bhujia/Sev. Serve hot.