How To Make Bengali Dimer Devil - Deviled eggs
Bengali style deviled eggs appetizer, similar to Scotch eggs.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time35mins
Ingredients to make Bengali Dimer Devil - Deviled eggs
- Eggs (hard boiled) : 4
- Minced meat : 300 gm
- Potatoes (boiled): 1 large
- Onion : 1 cup finely sliced or chopped
- Fried onion : ½ cup
- Green chillies: 4-5 finely chopped
- Bengali garam masala / clove-cinnamon-cardamom powder: ½ tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder : ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves a handful (chopped)
- Breadcrumbs : 1 cup
- Flour to dust
- Egg batter : 2 eggs
- Oil for Deep frying
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Bengali Dimer Devil - Deviled eggs
- Heat a tablespoon oil in a pan, brown the onions and add the minced meat. Add salt and spices. Keep frying till the mince meat becomes tender.
- Lower the heat and cook the meat till done. Once cooled enough, add mashed boiled potatoes, green chillies, fried onion, coriander leaves and yolk (if you are scooping it out or using extra yolk). Mash and mix everything with your hands.
- Cut the eggs into half. Dust the eggs lightly with flour. Make small balls (golf ball size) of the mixture. Cover the halved eggs with the mixture, evenly and there should not be gaps or any peeping holes.
- Eggs should be nicely covered with the filling. Repeat the process with the rest of the eggs. Once the devil is prepared, cover and keep it in the fridge for two hours (minimum). Let the filling stick to the eggs nicely.
- Make a assembly line of egg batter by beating the eggs in a separate bowl. Spread the flour and breadcrumbs in a separate plate. Heat a deep frying pan and heat the oil.
- Take out the deviled eggs from the fridge, dust it with flour lightly, shaking off the extras, dip the devils in the egg batter, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs evenly. Repeat the process once more.
- Deep fry the deviled eggs in hot oil till you get the golden brown color. Slot them out on kitchen towel to absorb the extra oils. Repeat the process with all the eggs.
- Serve the deviled eggs / dimer devil with tomato ketchup or kasundi (bengali mustard sauce) and with sliced raw onions and cucumbers or salad of your choice.
My Tip: Use good quality minced meat and the mince should be fine, not coarse.