Dim Kosha (Bengali Style Egg Curry)
In every culture and State in India there is a different recipe of Egg Curry!I had posted Chettinad Egg Curry some time back.Here is the Bengali version of the same."Dim" pronounced "deem" is the Bengali term for eggs.Kosha is a type of curry!Instead of the Chettinad Masala there is the Bengali Panchphoron powder here which is actually a mixture of 5 spices in equal proportion : Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) Nigella Sativa (Kalonji) Mustard Seeds - black (Rai) Fennel Seeds (Saunf) Cumin Seeds (Jeera) Given by Sandeepa Mukherjee Dutta in her wonderful book - Bong Mom's Cookbook! This recipe serves 2 - 3 depending on the eggs a person can eat.In my family this recipe serves 2 people as I prepare 2 eggs per person and later on the demand is always for one extra so I actually boil 5!However the curry suits 4 or 5 eggs perfectly so make more if you plan to make a larger quantity!
- Prep Time15Minutes
- Cooking Time45Minutes
- 4 - 5 eggs (hard boiled)
- 3 potatoes - peeled and chopped into batons or fries
- 2 Onions - chopped roughly
- 3 Tomatoes - pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 TBSP GREEN CHILLI PASTE
- 1 tsp Panch Phoron
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder (jeera)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp Powdered sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp oil
- Heat 1/2 tbsp Oil and fry chopped Onions till brown.Cool and make a fine paste.Heat 1/2 tbsp Oil and saute the eggs till the skin begins to crinkle and turn golden.Reserve the Oil.
- Heat 2 tbsp Oil and pan fry the chopped Potatoes till golden brown and partly cooked.Drain and keep aside.
- In this pan add the reserved Oil after frying the eggs and the remaining 1 tbsp Oil and add Panch phoron.Fry for 2 - 3 seconds and pour in the fried Onion paste.Saute for 1 - 2 minutes and add the Tomato Puree.
- Now add the ginger garlic and green chilli pastes and mix well.Add the spice powders - chilli,cumin,turmeric and coriander.Add 1 tbsp Coriander leaves.Mix and cook till Oil floats on top.
- Add the fried Potatoes and 3/4 - 1 cup of water.Stir well and cover.Cook the potatoes on medium heat till fork tender and the water has partly evaporated.
- Add the eggs and stir well.Cover and cook 3 - 4 minutes till the masala coats the eggs.Remove from heat.
- To serve make a bed of gravy and potatoes on a plate.Place one egg whole and cut the other into half.Keep the two halves attractively side by side.Sprinkle the remaining Coriander leaves on top.Serve with Roti,Paratha,plain rice or pulao!