Dahi Bhalla Katori
- For Dahi Bhalla/Vada:
- Wheat flour dough already prepared
- For the Katori:
- Raisins as per taste (Optional)
- Green Chutney as per taste (Optional)
- Meethi Chutney as per taste
- Beaten Curd - 2 Cups
- Salt to taste.
- Chopped green chillies - 2/3
- Very finely chopped ginger - 1/2 Inch
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 Tbsp
- Moong Dhuli Dal - 1/3rd of the quantity of Urad Dal.
- Urad Dal (skin removed Black Gram/White Lentils) - 1 Cup
- Oil to deep fry.
- Soak both the pulses overnight in water.
- Put the pulses in a grinder. Add salt, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and chopped ginger.
- Grind them to a fine paste.
- Whisk it for another 10-15 minutes. (my mother does it with her hand and she is such an expert which I am not). So just take a hand blender and whisk till the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Now your paste is ready. Simply, make small vada shapes and deep fry till light golden brown.
- (Its fun eating them like that only so my mom always makes few extra vadas). For Dahi Bhallas, soak them in water for 5 minutes.
- Take them out, squeeze out the water and add curd, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Dahi Bhallas are ready.
- For the Katori:
- Take small steel 'katoris', ideally of the shape of katori you would want. Coat them (outward side) with oil.
- Now roll the dough like a chapati but very thin. They should be of about the size to cover the steel katori.
- Now put the chapati on the katori and press it gently so that it sets like an outer mould to the katori.
- Now, deep fry it along with steel katori on high till golden brown.
- Let them cool. Take them out of the steel katoris. Fried on high heat, they should be really crisp.
- To serve: Put one Dahi Bhalla in each katori.
- Pour some sweet chutney and green chutney as per your liking.
- Sprinkle some raisins, chaat masala and red chilli powder, as per your liking.
- Enjoy the wonderful taste of 'Dahi Bhallas' with the added crispy touch.