How To Make Khatti Moong Daal
Healthy and easy whole green lentils cooked with fresh herbs and yogurt.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time25mins
Key ingredients for Khatti Moong Daal
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Khatti Moong Daal
- 1 cup Whole Green Lentils / Sabut Moong
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric or Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 5 Kokam or tamrind
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 4 Dried Red Chilli shredded
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
Steps to make Khatti Moong Daal
- Wash and soak sabut moong for at least 1 hour prior to cooking. Take a pressure cooker, add ghee, methi dana & cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add in the chopped green chilies, curry leaves & asafoetida.
- Now add in the soaked daal along with 2 glasses of water & pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till it is cooked well & becomes soft & mushy.
- Once cooked, open the cooker & mash the daal using a whisk. Whisk the yogurt, few curry leaves, sugar, salt, turmeric, kokum, chopped ginger & the shredded red chilies into the daal.
- Add in approximately 2 - 2.5 cups of water. Stir well & let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Add in the fresh coriander & lemon juice. Remove from the flame.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee into the whole moong daal just before serving.
My Tip: Goes best with steamed rice or rotis. You can also make a puree and serve it as a lentil soup. Instead of kokum dried or fresh raw mango slices can also be used. Vegans - you can skip yogurt & increase the amount of lemon juice.