100% Whole Wheat Margherita Pizza
How To Make Pizza Dough
- 2 & a 1/2 cups - whole wheat flour plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons - instant yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon - salt
- 1 cup - water room temperature
- 1 tablespoon - olive oil
- 1 tablespoon - sugar
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, water and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Let it sit for five minutes or till it becomes bubbly.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups flour, salt and remaining sugar. Make a well in the centre and add yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Stir using a spoon until the dough just comes together, then knead, either by hand or with the dough hook, for about 5 minutes (3-4 minutes if using dough hook).
- Add remaining flour in 1 tbsp increments just until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl or is no longer sticky. You may not use all the flour.
- Shape dough into a ball, liberally spray with olive oil and at this point you can store in freezer (upto 1 week) or refrigerator (use within 24 hours) in a ziplock bag.
- If you wish to use the same day then skip the above step and place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with lightly greased plastic wrap to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch down risen dough, divide and shape into 2 balls and place on a lightly floured pizza stone. Roll out into a circle of desired crust thickness and let rest about 10 minutes (at this time you can put on your desired toppings).
- If you have let your dough have a slow rise in refrigerator, then remove it and divide the dough in two equal parts and form a ball. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Slightly flatten it into a disc and allow it a rest for 30-40 minutes. Roll out into a circle of desired crust thickness and let rest about 10 minutes (at this time you can put on your desired toppings).
- Preheat oven to 260°C. Place pizza in oven and bake about 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are baked. Let pizza rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
My Tip: I prefer slow rise of refrigerator than immediate rise. I usually make 2 pizzas from this, but you can make only one as well.