One of my favourite desserts since childhood. This dish was usually made by my mom by steaming for about 50 minutes. This is an easy and a yummy recipe which has been adapted to save fuel and time by pressure cooking.
- Prep Time40Minutes
- Cooking Time30Minutes
- 6 loaves of bread (ladi pav)
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons - sugar
- 3 cups - milk
- 4-5 drops - vanilla essence
- In an aluminium baking tin of 5 inch diameter, take 1 tbs sugar and heat on the stove till the sugar melts.
- Keep heating till the sugar gets caramelized (it will become brown in colour) Spread it all over the bottom of the tin. Let it cool.
- Remove the top crust of the bread and tear it in small bits.
- In a bowl mix together the milk, egg, remaining sugar, vanilla essence. Soak the bread pieces in this mix for half an hour.
- Mash well with a spoon so that there are no lumps and pour the mix in the prepared tin.
- In a pressure cooker fill about 1 inch water and put the baking tin in it. Cover the tin with a lid and put a heavy weight on top. (a heavy stone works fine)
- Cook till 3 whistles, after that lower the flame and pressure cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Demould and serve chilled.
My Tip: Stale bread will also do; To demould, insert a knife between the pudding and the tin. Rotate the knife all round the pudding. Cover with a plate and turn upside down.