I love a good samosa – with a crisp crust and comforting filling of potatoes and peas cooked in spices, don’t you? Whether it’s Rakhi, Holi or Diwali, name a festival and we always have samosas ready to be served at home. But as much as I love them, I’ll admit that making them from scratch, mainly the dough, can be quite laborious. Especially when you have people at home for Diwali and you’d rather spend time with them than in the kitchen. So this is when I count on my trusty little ‘cheat ingredient’- filo pastry! it’s what I’m going to use here instead of the traditional samosa ‘patti’.
- Prep Time0Minutes
- Cooking Time45Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
Homemade Short Crust Pastry
- Potatoes (boiled): 350 gms
- Shelled Peas (boiled): 35 gms
- Oil: 1 tbs
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Green Chilli (finely chopped): 1 no.
- Asafetida (hing): a pinch
- Red Chilli Flakes: 1/8 tsp
- Garam Masala: ½ tsp
- Amchoor / Dried Mango Powder: ½ tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Coriander Leaves (chopped): 1 tbs
- Filo Pastry Sheets: 16 to 20
- Unsalted butter (melted)
- Peel the cooled potatoes and chop them in bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the cumin seeds & wait until they begin to ‘pop’. Add asafetida & stir into mixture. Then add the ginger, green chilli and cook until ginger loses its raw smell.
- Add potatoes & peas and cook them in this mixture.
- Sprinkle in red chilli flakes, garam masala, aamchoor and salt and ensure it’s mixed well with the potato mixture.
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaves. Set this filling mixture aside to cool.
- Pre- heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Brush a sheet of filo pastry generously with melted butter. Fold into thirds.
- Once done, brush it with melted butter and then bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes
My Tip: Very important – flip the samosas after they have been in the oven for 10 minutes so that they bake evenly on both sides. I used the KitchenAid Non Stick Cookie Sheet to bake these samosas, eliminating the need to use a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Other recipes in this foodbook
This foodbook has no other recipes.