- 8 slices white bread crusts removed and cut into 4 squares
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- 1 kg boiled whole milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup colourful boiled seviyan
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan. Fry the bread slices in the hot oil until deep, golden brown; drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Keep aside.
- Bring the milk to a gentle boil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-low heat, continue boiling until the volume of the milk reduces by about half.
- Add the sugar, cardamom, seviyan, nuts, simmer together 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat..
- Arrange the fried bread pieces in a shallow dish large enough to allow them to be laid in a single layer. Evenly pour the milk mixture over the bread. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cold, garnish with nuts or cherry.
My Tip: If you like very sweet you can increase the sugar quantity, this is rich dessert. It is great for a large dinner party as the recipe can be easily multiplied to make more. It is best when eaten chilled.