How To Make Aloo panch phoran
Panch Phoran literally translates to five spices viz. equal quantities of fennel, cumin, fenugreek, nigella seeds and mustard. This is a versatile spice blend which can be used with many vegetables like pumpkin, cauliflower, beans and also whilst preparing fish or meats. This is a delicious and simple preparation for potatoes.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time45mins
Key ingredients for Aloo panch phoran
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Aloo panch phoran
- 3/4 kg potatoes boiled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tbsp oil or ghee
- 4 kashmiri chillies
- 4 flakes garlic chopped fine
- 1 green chilli chopped fine
- 2-3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1-1/2 tbsp panch phoran
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Aloo panch phoran
- Boil potatoes till nearly done. Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder to the potato cubes whilst still warm and toss gently. Set aside.
- In a wide non-stick pan or a wok, heat the oil or ghee till medium hot and add the red chillies followed by the garlic. Sauté for a minute or so without burning the chillies and the garlic.
- Add the green chilli and coriander leaves, sauté for a few seconds and add the panch phoran.
- Lightly sauté until the seeds begin to pop and crackle.
- Add the potatoes and give a gentle stir. Cover the lid and allow the potatoes to cook until done and the flavours infuse. Keep checking to ensure that the potatoes do not stick to the pan. You can sprinkle some water if required.
- Check for seasoning, add more salt if required. Remove from the flame and squeeze a bit of lemon juice.
- Enjoy with rotis or puris.