Instant Sooji Uttapa
Sooji Uttapa serves as one of the quick and delicious breakfast options. It is a thick pancake made from Rava or Sooji batter with tasty topping. It is slightly crispy on the outside edges, soft and fluffy inside.
- Prep Time20Minutes
- Cooking Time15Minutes
- 1 cup - Sooji / Coarse Semolina /Rava
- 3 tbsp - Besan / Chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup - plain Butter Milk
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 1 large Tomato finely diced
- 2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
- 2 tsp Oil + for shallow frying
- Take sooji and besan in a large bowl. Gradually, add plain butter milk and mix well with a spoon to form a smooth batter.
- Meanwhile finely chop the vegetables and sprinkle salt on them. After 20 minutes, check the batter for consistency and add a little water.
- Over a medium flame, heat a non-stick pan. Drizzle a few drops of oil over it. Reduce the flame to low and pour a ladle full of batter and spread it into a circle.
- Top the uttapa with chopped onions, tomatoes, chilies and coriander. Spread the vegetables evenly.
- Drizzle few drops of oil around the edge with help of a spoon and cover with a lid. Cook on medium heat until colour of the top surface changes from white to off white and the bottom side turns light brown.
- After 2 minutes flip it gently and cook on the other side for 1 minute.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or any chutney of your choice.
My Tip: If you are in a hurry and cannot wait, then make the batter using warm buttermilk, this will fasten the soaking of sooji. If you do not have buttermilk, you can add 2-3 tbsp curd and some water to make the batter. There should be no lumps in the batter. Add salt and 1 tsp of oil and mix well and keep aside for 15 - 20 minutes.