How to make Ghee
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- 1 1/2 cups Rice
- 1/2 cup Whole white urad dal
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Thick Poha (flattened rice)- 1/4cup
- Salt to taste
- Soak dal, rice and fenugreek separately overnight.
- Soak poha for an hour.
- Start the grinding the next day.In a blender add the fenugreek seeds first with little water and grind. Add poha and grind again.
- Now add the drained and washed dal with 1/2 cup water(can add more water if required).
- It will be frothy, scrape down and add the rice, grind with minimal water.Batter should be thick.
- Remove and pour out into an aluminium utensil. Add salt.
- Cover and let ferment in a warm place for another 7-8 hours, or till well fermented.
- Just before serving, brush idli moulds with ghee and spoon tablespoons of the batter into each mould, fill almost till the top.
- Heat water in a pressure cooker/Idli steamer and bring to a rolling boil.Place idli stand in cooker and steam for 10 minutes on a high flame.
- Turn off flame but take out idlis only after 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Other recipes in this foodbook
This foodbook has no other recipes.