Simple Christmas Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups mixed dried fruits (Dried apricots (chopped) golden raisins, black currants, dried figs (chopped), glanced cherries, candied peels)
- 1 cup brown sugar or white sugar
- ½ cup (I stick) butter
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup blanched almonds
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (4-5 cloves, 2 medium size cinnamon sticks, small piece of nutmeg, 3-4 green cardamom. Powder the spices in a grinder. Pass through a sieve and use)
- ½ cup sweet sherry (or orange wine or orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine dry fruits, sugar, butter, spice and baking soda in a large saucepan. Stir over low heat till sugar dissolves and butter melts. Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sherry. Cool
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line the base and sides of one 8 inch round cake tin with parchment paper.
- Beat egg lightly
- Stir egg into the mixture. Mix well. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin. Decorate with blanched almonds. Bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. The toothpick should come out clean.
- Remove from oven after 10 minutes. Cool in the rack.
- Wrap cake in a cling film and keep in a container for about two to three days or maximum for a week. The flavours develop fully. Slice and serve.
My Tip: Add more zest and candied peels for greater flavour