How To Make Chicken Biryani/Biriyani
A tasty and authentic recipe which is a favorite among all age groups and enjoyed on festivities, usually made up with spicy meat and rice.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time2Hours
Key ingredients for Chicken Biryani/Biriyani
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Chicken Biryani/Biriyani
- 1.5 Kgs Chicken cut into large pieces
- garlic 50 grams
- ginger 100 grams
- red chillies 4
- cumin seeds 3 tsp
- cardamom 6 (green)
- black cardamom 4
- nutmeg 1/2
- ghee 300 grams
- water 4 cups
- salt to taste
- rice 1 kg
- rose water 1 tsp
- biryani masala powder 2 tsp
- 2 small onions thinly sliced (approx. 50 grams)
Steps to make Chicken Biryani/Biriyani
- Wash and clean the chicken thoroughly. Grind together garlic, ginger, whole red chillies, green cardamoms and black cardamoms and nutmeg in a grinder.
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken pieces with yoghurt and ground spices mixed for 3 hours
- Heat ghee in a large bottom pan and saute the onion slices until they become golden brown in colour.
- Add the marinated chicken with the marinade juice and stir fry. Add water and salt and simmer over medium flame until the meat becomes tender and also keeping in mind that it doesn’t stick at the bottom of the pan.
- In another pan, bring plenty of water to boil and cook the rice. Add salt. When the rice is half done, Drain and strain the rice.
- In another deep bottomed pan, Arrange the meat pieces in a single layer leaving no space in between the pieces. Pour over a half cup ghee, sprinkle red chilli powder, biryani masala.
- Spread the rice evenly over this layer and a bit of rice water. Pour over the rose water evenly
- Seal the lid of the pan with dough and let it cook over low flame for 30mins.
- When the Biryani is done, open the lid and stir the meat and rice together.
- Serve hot, with raita or kebabs.
My Tip: Serve with curd