How To Make Leek and Potato Soup
A hot and filling soup, great for cold wintry nights. Recipe is a mix of ideas taken from various recipes on the internet and adapted to suit my tastes.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time10mins
Key ingredients for Leek and Potato Soup
Homemade Vegetable Stock
Ingredients to make Leek and Potato Soup
- Leeks (cleaned weight) – 250gm
- Potatoes – 250 gm
- Garlic – 10 pods
- Onion – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1 small (optional)
- White Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp (or according to taste)
- Olive (or any) oil – 1 tbs
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Stock cube (maggi veg) – 1 + 3.5 cups water OR veg stock - 3.5 cups
Steps to make Leek and Potato Soup
- Discard the thick, tough green leaves of the leeks and thoroughly wash the remaining stems and slice them into rounds (you can use the leaves while making vegetable stock, if you wish).
- Chop the onions and garlic (and tomato if using). Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a cooker. Fry garlic and onion lightly. Add the leeks, potatoes, tomato if using, salt, pepper.
- Add the stock or cube+water. Pressure cook for 5 min or about 5 whistles.
- When cool, puree the mix in a blender.
- Return the liquid to the cooker and add milk and give it one boil. Thickness can be varied according to preference, by adjusting the water.
My Tip: See how to clean leeks using this link http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_clean_leeks/