Pudina Paneer Pulao(Mint and home made chenna Pulao)
My husband and I are big-time rice eaters. So, Pulao is a favourite in my home. Whenever there is surplus milk in the house, I make paneer or chhena with it and use it in different dishes. Here, It transforms a simple pudina -rice dish into a delicious Pulao! There is plenty of pudina used as there was a lot of supply from my backyard. But for a milder flavour, you can reduce the quantity.
- Prep Time5Minutes
- Cooking Time25Minutes
How to make Ghee
- 1 and 3/4 cups Basmati rice ( soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- 1 cup pudina (mint) leaves- chopped finely
- 1 cup chhena or paneer
- 3/4 cup curd- whisked
- 3 onions – sliced
- 1 bay leaf, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 2 black cardamoms, 6 black peppercorns
- 1 inch ginger piece ,3 garlic cloves and 1 green chilly – crushed
- ghee or oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric for colour ( optional )
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add the bay leaf, cloves, green cardamoms, black cardamoms and peppercorns and let them crackle.
- Add the sliced onion and fry till golden brown. To this, add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chilly. Saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the paneer ( chhena ) and the curd. Cook for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- Add salt , 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Tip in the drained rice and half of the chopped pudina.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or till the rice is done.
- Sprinkle the rest of the pudina over the pulao and serve hot.
My Tip: In place of the homemade paneer or Chhena, you can use store bought paneer and crumble it when using.