How To Make Batata vada/ Fried potato dumpling
Spiced potato dumpling coated with gram flour batter and fried. It is a very popular street food of Mumbai.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time15mins
Ingredients to make Batata vada/ Fried potato dumpling
- 250 gm- Potatoes, boiled
- 1 tbsp -Green chili, minced
- 1 tsp- Ginger,chopped
- 1/2 cup- Fresh coriander,chopped
- To taste -Salt/ namak
- 1/3 tsp- Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp- Citric acid/tatri *
- 1 tsp - Mustard seeds /rai
- 1/4 tsp -White lentil /urad daal
- 1/4 tsp- Asafoetida /hing
- 8- Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp- Cooking oil
- For the batter:
- 1 cup - Gram flour /besan
- 2 tbsp- Rice flour/chawal ka atta
- 1/4 tsp- Turmeric/haldi
- 1 tsp- Chili powder
- 1 tbsp -Hot oil
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Soda-bi-carb (optional)
Steps to make Batata vada/ Fried potato dumpling
- Peel and coarsely mash the boiled potatoes (don't make a paste of the potatoes). Heat oil in a pan and add the urad daal and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and green chilies. Stir and then add the turmeric powder and boiled potatoes.
- Next, add salt and citric acid and stir to mix every thing. Remove from the flame and add the chopped fresh coriander.
- Mix it and let it cool down a bit. Now make small balls from this potato mixture and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, salt,chili powder and turmeric. Add water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Add hot oil and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide pan. Dip these prepared potato balls in the gram flour batter. Gently add it in the hot oil and deep fry them on medium heat.
- Change the sides 2-3 times in between to get a nice colour from all the sides. Remove from the pan when they become golden and crisp.
- Drain on a paper napkin to absorb the extra oil. Slit or poke a hole in few green chilies and deep fry them. Then drain them and sprinkle some chat masala or salt over them.
- Serve these hot vadas with green chutney, ketchup and fried green chilies.
My Tip: 1. To add sourness in the vada, you can add either citric acid or lemon juice. 2. Don't mash the potato completely, just mash them roughly, don't make a paste of these potatoes. 3. You can reduce the quantity of minced green chilies and add some red chili powder in the potato mixture. 4. For a variation, you can also add some boiled peas at step 3.