Haak ka saag
Essentially just lightly braised greens, Kashmiris love their greens… and a complete meal would ideally be a dish of meat, a dish of greens and freshly boiled rice!.I always like to do this at the last minute just before the dinner table is laid, so that the greens are at their freshest and most flavourful.
- Prep Time10Minutes
- Cooking Time5Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
- 1 kg Kashmiri Haak Saag/Spinach greens/kohlrabi greens/collard/kale
- 2 tbsp of mustard oil.
- Salt to taste(keep a light hand)
- 4 whole red chillies(red chilli).
- 1 pinch of hing (asafoetida).
- 2 pinches of meetha soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 tsp kashmiri garam masala or ½ tsp veri masala
- can add 1 minced green chilli/ ½ tsp chilli flakes if you like it hot.
- Wash the leaves of whichever greens you are using.
- Leave the leaves whole, snip off stems. Tender stems can however be included.
- Heat oil in a large kadhai or wok till smoky, switch off to bring down temp.
- Add in the whole red chillies, the hing, soda and stir for a second. Next add in the greens, it should sizzle up. Immediately Cover and let the leaves wilt for a minute.
- Uncover and stir, now season lightly with salt and add the chillies/ flakes if desired, add more water to keep leaves immersed.Do not overcook.
- Sprinkle the garam masala/ veri masala when just about done. Stir and serve.
My Tip: In case you do not have kashmiri masala, simply add some ground saunf and dried ginger powder.