How To Make Gaad-Nadur
A kashmiri dish rich in color and taste usually served on occasions and festivals. Fish is cooked with lotus stems ( Nadur means lotus) or turnips. A special paste of Kashmir Spices, known as vari is often used in its preparation.
- Prep Time20mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Gaad-Nadur
- Fish - 300 gm (kingfish/surmai/Rohu)
- Fried Onion - 1/2 cup
- Vari Masala Paste - 1 tbsp (see tip below)
- Lotus stem - 1 (cleaned and cut into diagonal circles)
- Garlic paste - 2 tsp
- kokum 2-3 pieces
- Green Cardamom 1
- Cinamon - 1 piece
- Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- clove- 2
- Cooking Oil
- Salt per taste
Steps to make Gaad-Nadur
- Add Kokum to 1/2 cup hot water and let it sit for few minutes.Once the water is cooled remove out the kokum pieces.This is done in order to extract the essence out of it.
- Wash the fish and cut into equal slices of 1 inch thickness. Add salt and keep aside for 15 min.
- Take a pan and heat oil.Fry the fish to golden brown.Take it out and keep aside.
- Make a fine paste of fried onion.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan, add cinamon,cardamom and clove. When they start to splutter add garlic paste.Once the garlic starts turning brown add the lotus stems, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Saute. Add vari masala and saute for some time.
- Now add the Kokum essence water, stir gently and cook for some time.
- Add the brown onion paste and cook for 4-5 min. Add little water and when it starts boiling, add fish pieces ,salt and cook well for another 4-5 min.
- Let it rest for 5-10 min before you serve. Serve hot with steam rice.