How To Make Sooji/Rava Idli
A quick and perfect summer breakfast. These are extremely light on stomach which can be made in a jiffy too.
- Prep Time60mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Sooji/Rava Idli
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
Ingredients to make Sooji/Rava Idli
- 2 cups sooji/Bombay Rava
- Fresh curd as needed to bind sooji and make a thick batter. I used approx 1 cup.
- 1 sachet eno (add more if you are not fermenting the batter)
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed to make smooth batter consistency
Steps to make Sooji/Rava Idli
- In a big mixing bowl, take sooji and start adding curd to it. We have to make a very thick paste so add curd accordingly. Combine sooji and curd nicely.
- Leave it covered for an hour or more to ferment. If you are short of time and cant wait for an hour, than add more eno to get the perfect results.
- Before you start making the final batter, grease the idli plates nicely with oil. Keep the steamer/ idli stand ready before you you start using the batter to make idlis.
- After an hour, take out the idli batter, it must have dried a little. Start adding water to it (little at a time) to make smooth consistency .
- Once you get the desired idli batter consistency, add salt to taste, mix well. Now add eno to it. Mix nicely and pour the batter in idli trays.
- Steam it for 20 minutes in low flame. Once done, take the trays out and let it cool down a little (for atleast 5 minutes) before demoulding the idlis. Serve with sambar or chutneys.
My Tip: I prefer leaving the curd and sooji batter for 1 hour at room temperature. But if you are short of time, you can just prepare the batter, add eno (double the mentioned quantity) and steam the idlis.