Very Healthy Ragi Semiya Vegetable Upma
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- Ragi semiya - 1 1/2 cups
- Carrots - 1 large(finely chopped)
- Beans - 4-5 nos(finely chopped)
- Onions - 1 large(thin sliced)
- Tomatoes - 1 large (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
- Urad dal - 1 tbspn
- Channa dal - 1 tbspn
- Peanuts - 2 tbspns
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Green chillies - 2
- Dried red chillies - 2 nos
- Oil - 1 1/2 tbspn
- Salt to taste
- 1. Cook ragi vermicelli as per packet instructions.
- 2. I soaked the vermicelli in 2 liter water for 1 minute, then drain water completely without pressing the vermicelli, then steam in idli steamer for 5 minutes
- 3. Remove from idli pans and very gently separate the vermicelli's using your finger tips, keep aside.
- 4. Cook veggies and keep aside. I used carrots and beans, you any veggies of your choice.
- 5. Heat oil in a deep bottom pan. To hot oil add mustard seeds and wait till they crackle. Add urad dhal channa dal and saute for a min or till they turn brown
- 6. Next add thin slices of onions, green chillies, ginger pieces and curry leaves and saute till onions turn translucent.
- 7. Add tomatoes and cook till they are soft. Add salt to taste mix well, fry for 20 seconds.
- 8. Now add the cooked veggies stir and cook for about a minute.
- 9. Now add the steamed vermicelli and toss it very gently. Do not over mix and break the vermicelli.
- 10. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves if you like. Serve hot with spicy coconut chutney. Healthy and filling breakfast dish to start the day!