How To Make Kerala Puttu
Puttu is a traditional breakfast dish from Kerala. This recipe is a wholesome meal made from scratch. This recipe originally appeared in my blog (www.spicecounter.com) in 2013.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time45mins
Ingredients to make Kerala Puttu
- Red parboiled rice -3/4 cup
- Water- 4 tablespoons
- Grated coconut- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons
- Sugar- 3 tablespoons
- Salt- 1/8 teaspoon
Steps to make Kerala Puttu
- Clean and soak the rice overnight.
- Drain the water and spread the rice on a kitchen towel.
- Allow it to dry a bit (for about 5 minutes) but ensure it retains a bit of the moisture, else the rice will not grind well in mixer-blender.
- Grind the rice till it is very mildly coarse.
- Mix the rice powder, sugar, salt and 3 tablespoons of grated coconut.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of water on this and mix well.
- The mixture will be crumbly. Keep the mix aside for 10-15 mins.
- Take the puttu mould or any perforated container and place 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut followed by 8 tablespoons of the crumbly puttu mix.
- Repeat this process till the mould is full. Top off the mould with shredded coconut.
- Steam the puttu for 10 mins.
- Serve hot with sugar & chopped banana or channa gravy